Preserve Filled Donuts
- 1 jar of Dillman Farm Red Raspberry Preserves
- 1 jar of Dillman Farm Cherry Amaretto Preserves
- 3 cups of flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup of warm water
- 1 package of active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 tbsp shortening
- 2 cup milk
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp cocoa powder
- Colored Food Dye
- 6 cup vegetable oil
- In a saucepan on medium heat, combine 3/4 cup of milk, 2 tbsp of butter, and the shortening. Mix until the butter and shortening is melted.
- In the warm water, add the yeast and mix until the yeast is activated. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- Combine the milk mixture and yeast mixture into one big bowl.
- Add the egg, sugar, salt, cinnamon, and 1/3 of the flour. Beat until it is well mixed.
- Add 1/3 cup of the rest of the flour. Mix until it is well mixed together.
- When the dough forms a smooth ball, cover the ball with a cloth and let it sit in a warm location to let the dough rise. Let it sit for an hour.
- Roll the dough on a floured surface. Using a knife or Easter egg cookie cutter, cut the dough in Easter egg shapes. Place on a plate. Roll up the dough and cut again until all the dough is used. Cover the cut out Easter egg with a cloth and let rise for another 30 minutes.
- Heat the oil on high. Cut a slit in the side of the dough and add the preserves. Press the ends of the donut together so the preserves stay in the middle when you fry the donut.
- Fry the donuts till they are light brown all the way around.
- Mix the rest of the butter, powdered sugar, and milk to make the icing. You may have to add more powdered sugar or milk to get to the consistency you want.
- Take 1/3 of the icing and add cocoa to it to make it into chocolate icing.
- Take some of the white icing and add colors to it(we added Easter colors)
- Ice the Donuts any way that is desired!
Tried this recipe? Take a picture and tag us on social media for a chance to win a $10 Amazon gift card!